Thursday, September 25, 2014

I Love to Color!

I have a new favorite thing! COLOR CRAYONS!
I went nuts and bought the bonus box. Who doesn't need 96 color crayons??!!

Last week I started taking a class at a most fantastic quilt shop in my neck of the woods - The Noble Quilter in Elk River, Minnesota. The project - A Gardener's Alphabet, designed by Crabapple Hill, taught by the very talented Connie Chapman. Here's a picture of her completed quilt, hanging up at The Noble Quilter. This is what I'm aspiring to!

I got started today with the color crayon portion of the project, AND I AM CRAYOLA'S NEW BIGGEST FAN. Here's a little step-by-step of how I colored Block A.

As the pattern highly recommends, I first colored in everything with a white crayon. This seems to add a nice base over which to color. It fills in the muslin fabric's "pores", providing a nice, smooth surface. And then I chose my greens, and started to fill in those leaves! Connie suggested starting with the lightest color, then shading with darker and darker colors. And it really seemed to work!

On to the pumpkin. I started out by coloring it in with gold, then shading with orange, and then brown (light to dark).

I'm amazed by how much dimension the brown gives!

And finally, I colored in the letters and Little Miss Butterfly.



Next - I embroider! I can't wait to sit down this evening and get started.

On a side note, check out this rainbow that my 3-year old niece, Isla, drew. I think it's the most adorable use of color I've ever seen. If my sister doesn't convince her to draw me one of these soon, I have no qualms about stealing this off her fridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment